Thursday, July 25, 2013

Invisible by Marni Bates

*** 1/2

From KTeen:

It's not easy being best friends with a celebrity...

I'm invisible at my high school and I'm fine with it.  It's kind of inevitable with a name like Jane Smith.  But when the school newspaper staff insisted that I write a cover story, I decided to find out just how much scandal one geeky girl could uncover.

Except I never expected to find myself starting a fistfight, auditioning for the school's Romeo and Juliet musical, running away with a Romeo of my own, befriending the most popular girl in school, or trying to avoid one very cute photographer, who makes it impossible to be invisible...

I admit, Decked With Holly remains my favorite in this series, but Invisible was a cute, fun read that had me laughing out loud.  Jane is a very typical teen in her reactions to the troubles with her friends.  And while the situations in the books exaggerated and unbelievable, the reactions and characters stay true to themselves.  

I will admit that I was puzzled by Jane's attraction to Scott, who spends most of the book acting like a complete jerk and is openly hostile.  The only thing that makes him remotely redeemable (aside from being cute), is that he challenges Jane where everyone else coddles her.  Still, this wasn't enough for me to actually like or root for him.

If you haven't started this series yet, definitely pick it up for your fun, light reading requirements.  The next in the series, Notable adds a little mystery to the mix and I cannot wait to see how the Queen of the Notables handles life in Cambodia.  Notable is available October 29, 2013.



~Shel

No comments:

Post a Comment