Friday, July 25, 2014

Make It Count by Megan Erickson

Make it Count (Bowler University, #1)* * * 1/2

Kat Caruso wishes her brain had a return policy, or at least a complaint hot-line. The defective organ is constantly distracted, terrible at statistics, and absolutely flooded with inappropriate thoughts about her boyfriend’s gorgeous best friend, Alec…who just so happens to be her brand new math tutor. Who knew nerd was so hot?

Kat usually goes through tutors like she does boyfriends—both always seem to bail when they realize how hopeless she is. It’s safer for her heart to keep everyone at arm’s reach. But Alec is always stepping just a little too close.

Alec Stone should not be fantasizing about Kat. She’s adorable, unbelievably witty, and completely off limits. He’d never stab his best friend in the back…

But when secrets are revealed, the lines of loyalty are blurred. To make it count, Alec must learn messy human emotions can’t be solved like a trigonometry function. And Kat has to trust Alec may be the first guy to want her for who she is, and not in spite of it.









Review:


Kat likes to protect herself from inevitable heartache.  Which is why she sticks to dating guys that will never be more than temporary.  And that’s what Max is.  Temporary.  A guy that she can easily walk away from when he becomes annoyed with her flightiness.  But Max’s best friend and her statistics tutor, Alec?  He’s a whole other story.  He’s the kind of guy Kat could really fall for.  He’s also the kind of guy that could really break her heart.  

Alec would never cross the boundary of stealing his best friend’s girlfriend.  It doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to.  There is so much more to Kat that Max doesn’t see.  Including her insecurities regarding her intelligence and how other people see her.  Unlike Max, Alec gets a front row seat to view those insecurities during their tutoring sessions. 

Kat finally has enough of Max’s condescending remarks and breaks up with him.   Max makes it clear to Alec that they won’t be friends if he pursues Kat.  But the feelings between Kat and Alec are so volatile that one thing leads to another…and well lets just say that what follows is HOT.  But not so hot that Kat and Alec don’t have their own issues to work out before they can really have a relationship.

It’s kind of hard to not like Kat Caruso.  She’s simply adorable.  And her sense of humor is my favorite kind.  Quirky, cute and sometimes sarcastic.  And I have to say that sometimes I felt like I was reading a transcript of what goes on in my mind.   Here is an example of how my brain works. 


“That milk cup is gross.  I should wash it.  I love the smell of my dish soap.  It smells like lavender.  I should go outside and take care of my garden.  But it’s hot out.  Let’s get ice cream instead.  Everything is better with ice cream.”


That’s not far off from how Kat’s thoughts flow.  Except she thinks everything is better with bubbles.   Blown by a row of pheasants.  And, honestly, I would have a hard time arguing with her.

And Alec Stone?  Well, yeah.  He’s totally the kind of guy I would have been crushing on back in the day.  In some ways The Executive Officer IS that guy.  So I guess I really did crush on a guy like him.  It’s a no brainer that I really liked this hero.

Make It Count was cute and sexy and often funny.  I felt at times it was a bit overly dramatic but that is a complaint I often have with the New Adult books I’ve read.   In the end, it was a great read for getting lost in my head.  I kind of wish I had saved it for my upcoming trip to Florida.  I would have devoured it on the drive down or at the beach.  I will definitely be looking forward to Max’s story, Make It Right, which comes out in September.



Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment