Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Head Over Heals by Jill Shalvis (Adult Romance -18+)

* * * ½

Free-spirited Chloe lives life on the edge. Unlike her soon-to-be married sisters, she isn't ready to settle into a quiet life running their family's newly renovated inn. But soon her love of trouble--and trouble with love-draws the attention of the very stern, very sexy sheriff who'd like nothing better than to tame her wild ways.


Suddenly Chloe can't take a misstep without the sheriff hot on her heels. His rugged swagger and his enigmatic smile are enough to make a girl beg to be handcuffed. For the first time, instead of avoiding the law, Chloe dreams of surrender. Can this rebel find a way to keep the peace with the straitlaced sheriff? Or will Chloe's colorful past keep her from a love that lasts . . . and the safe haven she truly wants in a town called Lucky Harbor?





I have probably mentioned before how much I love adult romance novels. I’ve been reading them since my late teens. Sometimes they are a perfect escape. As I have gotten older I have found myself sticking to the same authors (Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypas and Nora Roberts) and very rarely pick up a new author. In January, Bel read her first adult romance. Jill Shalvis’s The Trouble with Paradise was recommended to her by Shel. After reading Bel’s review, I decided to give Jill a chance. I won’t deny the fact that Netgalley and Forever generously providing us with a few Jill Shalvis galleys had something to do with me choosing to take the chance with a new romance author.

And as always when it comes to recommendations from my fellow Bibliojunkies, I was not disappointed.

Head Over Heals tells the tale of the youngest of three half sisters. Chloe Traeger is the wild child. A free spirit that, much like her late mother, can’t seem to settle down in one place. And that works for her. But now she has a vested interest in the newly remodeled inn that she and her sisters have inherited and finds herself being drawn back to Lucky Harbor for longer and longer stays. A stay that she would say was born out of responsibility but might just possibly be because she has found a home with her two older sisters with whom she has built a relationship after years of being strangers.

Then enter the Sheriff. Sawyer is the best friend of each of her sister’s fiancés. He has known Chloe for over a year now and has managed to keep his distance. Her roaming lifestyle and endless shenanigans don’t fit into the orderly dedicated life he has made for himself. But those same shenanigans manage to draw him until he has to figure out if he can make room in his life for the force of nature that is Chloe.

I adored this book. This was a wonderfully romantic story told with a very healthy dose of humor. Jill Shalvis seems to be the master of humor and I found myself laughing more often than not. Chloe suffers from extreme asthma. So bad that she has never had a Blue Ribbon Moment without having a horrible asthma attack. That shouldn’t be funny but Jill Shalvis manages to make it an excellent vehicle for both humor and intensity in this story and I love her all the more for it. Let’s just say that I have found a new romance author to add to my short list of favorites.



Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment