Saturday, August 23, 2014

Reckless by Priscilla West

* * *



Everything about him warned me to stay away.

I’d seen bad boys before, but he had it all and more. The rippling muscles covered in tatts, the piercing eyes hiding dark secrets, the silky voice that could make a girl come with just a whisper . . .

He was exactly the type of guy that would get me in trouble, but when he jumped off the stage, inked skin glistening with sweat and breathed his seductive words into my ear, I couldn’t resist the temptation.

It was supposed to be the best one-night stand of my life, but fate didn’t let it play out that way. Things happened. I got upset. I got hasty. And worst of all, I got reckless.

After that disaster, I thought it was the last I’d see of him. But what I didn’t know was that I’d started something.

Something that could shatter the very thing I had worked so hard to protect.
I should have known back then that the most seductive things in life are also the most dangerous.


You know, I really can’t resist those bad boys especially those with the hair and the tattoos and who happen to be rockers.  Yeah, I’m a goner for those so naturally I’d gravitate towards Reckless.

Let me tell you, when Riley and Jax encounter each other for the first time – she’s front row at his show and he spots her as he’s scanning the crowd – it is lust as first sight. When the show is over, he seeks her out and directs her to meet him backstage in 15 minutes. Romantic, right? (Please read the sarcasm.) Their backstage rendez-vous doesn’t go very well and for all they know, that’s it.

Turns out Riley, who’s an accountant, is hired by Jax’s record label to go on tour with the band and contain their expenses. Oh this is awkward! There’s definitely some chemistry there and Jax makes it known that he’s interested in her for one thing. She is too but is reluctant to mix business with pleasure.  Oh if only she’d follow through.

I was getting into the story but I have to say, Riley threw me off.  For someone who is so concerned about her career and the importance of maintaining professionalism, she ends up making some questionable choices when she’s around Jax.  And he does his best to bait her while she goads him just as much.  

There’s plenty going on behind Jax’s somber, lone-wolf demeanor. Getting past that takes a lot of patience and a willingness to endure his mood swings. Jax has definitely met his match in Riley. There’s a lot of intensity between them and while I liked that, I also wished that Riley had been able to maintain her composure around him a bit better. She is on the job after all!

Reckless has some fun and heated moments. The hot moments are great though some are over the top ridiculous because Riley and Jax are trying so hard to one up each other. The ending was surprising and happened rather abruptly but don’t worry, the second book in the series will be out in the Fall! 

~ Bel


No comments:

Post a Comment