Monday, November 9, 2015

Best Worst Mistake (Brightwater #3) by Lia Riley

* * * *



Sometimes the worst mistakes turn out to be the best… 

Smoke jumper Wilder Kane once reveled in the rush from putting out dangerous wildfires. But after a tragic accident, he’s cut himself off from the world, refusing to leave his isolated cabin. When a headstrong beauty bursts in, Wilder finds himself craving the fire she ignites in him, but letting anyone near his darkness would be a mistake.

After her Hollywood life went up in smoke, Quinn Higsby decided to leave Tinseltown behind and return to Brightwater to care for her ailing father. She spends her days in a small bookstore, until her peaceful existence is up-ended by a fascinating but damaged man. Quinn is determined not to be scared off by Wilder, not once she’s experienced the heat of his passions.

But when an arsonist targets the community and Wilder is accused, he must confront the ghosts of his past. Will his desire for Quinn burn him up or will he be able to tame the wildness inside and rekindle a hope for their future?




I’ve mentioned before that I’ve never thought of myself as a fan of small town romances and yet, Lia Riley has made a convert out of me. Best Worst Mistake has ended up being my favourite of the three so far!

Wilder is the oldest, mysterious Kane brother who’s been MIA from Brightwater for years. He’s purposefully stayed away because of the painful memories his hometown holds for him. Upon surviving a devastating accident, he is forced to return home where his family can keep an eye on him. He reluctantly gives in but remains aloof. Since his movements are limited, he spends his time reading and taking up crafty projects.

Quinn has returned to Brightwater to escape her disappointing career in LA. The lifestyle here is exactly what she needs. Being home also allows her to be closer to her ailing father. She works at the local bookstore that just so happens to be delivering loads of books to this mysterious Wilder. An incident involving Quinn's dad leads to their first meeting. She is instantly intrigued by and attracted to Wilder’s surliness. Wilder prefers it when his abrasiveness  scares people away but Quinn responds to him differently. She’s not intimidated in the least. Instead she goes head-to-head with him and he rather enjoys it. And that’s how this little romance begins.

I can’t believe how badly I wanted to burrow my way into this book. People, I’m not even a fan of winter or the snow and here I was wishing I could transport myself to Brightwater to visit this little bookstore, then pop over to the café for a hot drink and pastry and then hang out at Wilder’s cabin. That last part is so not me. I’m normally a room service girl but somehow, Lia Riley managed to have me wishing I could cozy up to a warm fireplace and hang out with the entire Kane family. This is a tightly knit group of family and friends that I have come to adore. And speaking of that, I couldn’t adore Quinn enough. I have a special affinity for her. Perhaps it’s that she babbles when she’s feeling awkward. Or that she works in a bookstore and loves wearing geeky t-shirts. Then there’s Wilder. I honestly thought there was no way I could love a Kane brother other than Sawyer. Well, I was wrong. I responded to this character who is devoid of any ego but haunted by secrets. He’s sturdy; someone who quietly observes from the background and who is ever ready to be there for you at a moment’s notice. Yes, I puffy heart him something fierce!

I think you get the gist. Reading Best Worst Mistake is like being wrapped up in a warm, fuzzy blanket. Read this entire Brightwater series. It’s good for your heart and increases smiles by 110%!

~ Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment