Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tangled by Erica O'Rourke

* * * 1/2






Constance started to keen as the air around us began to thrash and twist, the caustic scent of ozone burning my nose. As I watched, her dark gold hair began to lift and kick into knots. “I’m here. It’ll be okay.” It was the last thing I said before my best friend’s little sister went supernova in the second-floor girls’ bathroom, taking me with her.

A month ago, Mo Fitzgerald risked her life to stop an ancient prophecy and avenge her best friend’s murder. Now, she only wants to keep her loved one safe. But the magic – and the Chicago mob – have other plans.

Mysterious, green-eyed Luc is back, asking for help – and a second chance. Colin, her strongest protector, is hiding a shocking secret. And inside Constance, the magic is about to go terribly wrong. Tangled in a web of love and betrayal, Mo must choose between the life she’s dreamed of and the one she’s destined for.


Tangled, picks up a few months after the events at the Chicago Water Tower. Mo is trying to get back to normal but magic and trouble are never far behind. It turns out the magical world still needs her despite their disdain for her. In the normal “flat” world, she’s trying to understand her family secrets, a rival mob is after her and she's crushing on two different guys. All this and she still has to get into NYU. Oh the pressure!

I really enjoy this series mostly because it's intriguing to watch Mo balance two very different worlds and very different expectations. No matter how many times she may save the magical world, she still has to get to school and get decent grades. She has to answer to her mother and uncle, even if they are suspicious. There are very real repercussions she has to face no matter where she turns. Not that I enjoy watching someone suffer but it’s definitely a different take on the whole paranormal storyline.

When The Convenant comes back to demand her help, Mo takes a stand and demands something as well. She's determined to have some control of her life and is still reluctant to adopt Luc's view that it's their fate to be together and protect the magical world. While she's fighting fate, she's also working her way through everyone's secrets    her mother's, uncle's, father's and Colin's. Mo deciphering her family politics is hazardous undertaking. At times she's in over her head and she makes some knucklehead moves. Then there are others when she actually gets the upper hand though it's short lived. But I have to hand it to Mo. The crap she goes through would do anyone's head in but she still manages to hold it together.

Mo's romantic triangle continues. Luc is a great comic relief, especially when things gets pretty serious but Colin is the guy you want to bring home to mom. So it's a good thing he's there a lot! While I'm not really sure myself who she should end up with, when it comes to Mo and Colin, I find the blurry line between that of protector and potential lover rather unsettling. But where my fellow BiblioJunkie Nat loves the nice boy, I loooove the bad boy. So I guess that means I'm Team Luc.


Tangled is a lot of fun to read and it was the perfect escape for me. There are quite a few creative twists involved which take things up a few notches. I'm looking forward to reading Bound that comes out June 26!


~ Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment