Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Otherkin by Nina Berry

**1/2


From Kensington (KTeen):

I thought I knew myself. Then I met Caleb.
Dez is a good girl who does as she’s told and tries not to be noticed. Then she rescues a boy from a cage, and he tells her secrets about herself. Now inside her burns a darkness that will transform her.
Everything is about to change—and neither Caleb, nor the Otherkin, nor those who hunt them, are prepared for what Dez will unleash.

The Bad:
I didn't feel like the characters in Otherkin were fully formed, more outlines than developed characters.  Dez didn't seem nearly freaked out enough about suddenly becoming a tiger and being thrust into a world of shifters and magic.  Her reaction was quite minimal and accepting.  I'm fairly confident this is meant to be a series, so perhaps we will see more depth in Dez, Caleb and their friends and foes. 

The Good:
Otherkin is an interesting story and I admit to being a little fascinated by the foreshadowing of what is to come for Dez and who she will turn out to be and finding out what Caleb's role in her destiny will be.  Fans of Nightshade and other paranormal/shapeshifter romance will find this to be an enjoyable read without the heavy emotional toll that often felt in this genre.  A decent debut for Nina Berry and I look forward to discovering what she does next.

~Shel

No comments:

Post a Comment