Thursday, September 6, 2012

Girl in the Clockwork Collar (The Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross


* * *
 

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

 

As in the The Girl in the Steel Corset, the characters were my favorite part of this book.  We had many of the same characters as last time – Griffin, Emily, Finley, Sam and Jasper.  And we met some new characters too.  Dalton - our overly good looking evil crime lord.  Mei – the love of Jasper’s life and the bargaining tool Dalton uses to keep Jasper in his service.  Then there is the introduction of the infamous Nikola Tesla.  I think we will definitely be seeing more of him in the next book. 

There are a number of love stories taking place in this book.  First there is Emily and Sam - an odd but cute couple that comes across as very comfortable. Then there is Griffin and Finley.  Personally, I am not feeling the emotion between.  It just doesn’t work for me.  I wish I could pinpoint why.  What did work for me?  The relationship between Jasper and Mei.  It’s imperfect and realistic.  Their relationship was the one love story that held my attention and engaged me emotionally.  

What this book really delivers on is the action.  I really hope that this series will someday be made into a movie.  It would be full of action packed, steampunk fun.   

Although I preferred the first book in this series, this is still a fun sequel that I would recommend to lovers of the Steampunk genre. 

 

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment