Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Shel's Top Ten(ish) of 2013





2013 was a good year.  I didn't get to read as much as I would have liked, but I'm not complaining.  I barely hit 100 books this year and it was difficult to narrow down a top ten, so I may have cheated, just a little bit.  I do hope you will forgive me.  So here they are, in no particular order.


Darker Days is the first in a new series by Jus Accardo.  It's about Jessie Darker, who works at the family detective agency specializing in paranormal problems, her demon father and the seven deadly sins.  Trust me, it's fun.  I can't wait for the next installment.















Spirit is book 3 in the Elemental Series by Brigid Kemmerer and if my raving hasn't yet convinced you to read this series, well, I don't know what to do with you!  This year, Bel & Nat finally caved and read the series, much to my delight.  Spirit tells Hunter's story and it is heartbreakingly beautiful.  Also, I really think that Michael needs hugs from all of us.  













Everyone knows that Jill Shalvis is my imaginary BFF because I love her books so much, so it shouldn't surprise anyone to learn that I LOVED all her books this year.  Rumor Has It was probably my favorite new Jill of the year, but they were all fun.  If you love steamy romance that will make you laugh out loud, you will love Jill Shalvis too.  













I was surprised by how much I loved this middle grade tale of Norse Mythology.  Loki's Wolves is my surprise favorite of the year.  I loved it so much that I bought it for my niece for Christmas. Odin's Ravens will be released in May 2014 and I will be ready! 












Sweet Evil had been on my TBR pile for far too long and once I finally read it, it stuck with me for days.  I haven't read Sweet Peril yet, because the third book doesn't come out until Summer 2014 and there's only so much torture a girl can take.  















I know, I'm cheating again, but seriously, there is too much JLA awesomeness in a given year to pick just one.  Seriously, she writes like a maniac and I love her for it!  I really loved Bitter Sweet Love, but I think her taking the Lux Series into the adult world with Obsession was my favorite of the year, especially with the completely new viewpoint of the Arum, as opposed to the Luxen.  I hope there are more to come.








I know everyone is raving about Rainbow Rowell's YA books, and I will get to them someday, but her adult book, Attachments had me laughing out loud.  It's an unusual tale about an IT person reading the emails between two best friends that work at the same company.  Trust me, you don't want to miss this.












Rick Riordan knows how to weave a tale, especially a tale of woe, which is exactly what House of Hades is.  A woeful tale of hope, the battle against evil and oneself.  House of Hades is probably my favorite book of the year.  It's definitely a standout and next year, the final installment in the Heroes of Olympus series, Blood of Olympus, will probably be my favorite of 2014.  












All I can really say about the Raven Cycle, is wow. I stayed up almost all night, for two nights reading The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves.  They are outstanding and I definitely see why Natalie has such a crush on Maggie Stiefvater.  












It's a tough choice between Midnight Frost and House of Hades for my number one choice of the year.  With the end of both series in 2014, I don't know what I will do, but I cannot wait to see what Jennifer Estep has in store in Killer Frost.  Midnight Frost was an action packed adventure of mythical proportions, with Loki's followers causing Gwen and crew all kinds of trouble.  Lucky for me I get to see how it all ends next month! (and then I will cry).  







I hope you all have as difficult a time picking your favorites of 2013 as well.  Here's wishing you tons to choose from next year as well!

~Shel










3 comments:

  1. Cool! I hadn't heard of Attachments - I just requested it from my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - you will enjoy it. The first three pages had me dying! Happy Reading!

    ~Shel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list -- Sweet Peril, Origin and Dream Thieves made my list too!

    My Top 10 Adult/NA Books and YA Books of 2013

    I am also giving away any of my 2013 favorites here! Please enter!

    ReplyDelete