Friday, November 18, 2011

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep


****1/2
From Kensington:

 
Logan Quinn was trying to kill me.



My Spartan classmate relentlessly pursued me, swinging his sword at me over and over again, the shining silver blade inching closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his ice-blue eyes practially glowed with the thrill of battle…


I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Academy, and I have no idea how I’m going to survive the rest of the semester. One day, I’m getting schooled in swordplay by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gorgeous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invisible archer in the Library of Antiquities decides to use me for target practice. And now, I find out that someone at the academy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword…

Kiss of Frost chronicles the continuing adventures of my favorite Gypsy, Gwen Frost. This time, the kids at Mythos Academy are taking a field trip and poor Gwen may not make it back alive if the Reaper of Chaos stalking her has anything to say about it. But Gwen is busy trying to ignore Logan and his girlfriend, while keeping her BFF, Daphne, from worrying or getting hurt, training to protect herself and flirting with a hot guy from the New York Academy. Kiss of Frost is full of surprises, plot twists and intrigue.
 
If it is possible, I think I enjoyed Kiss of Frost more than Touch of Frost. Gwen is more confident and assertive in Kiss. Sure, she is still trying to figure out her Gypsy gift and her place at Mythos, but she is not nearly as indecisive and meek as she was in Touch of Frost. Plus, she’s chock full of smack-talk, which I love. Really, the only thing that needs to be said here is – Vic, the talking sword.

Fans of Jennifer Estep’s snarky and sassy heroines will adore Kiss of Frost! Also, the bonus Chapter 1 of Dark Kiss at the end of the book nearly made me throw my e-reader, which would have been bad. The teaser, is just that, teasing and taunting me that I have to wait forever to read Dark Kiss (releasing May 29, 2012). 

Also, in case you missed it - Jennifer Estep's short story, Halloween Frost is in the Entangled Anthology.  Proceeds from the sale go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.  It is only available in ebook and is sold by all major retailers.  A great short story for a great cause!



~Shel


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Touch of Frost(thanks by the way). It was a refreshing read because of all the mythology and I really loved Gwen's gift it would be quite challenging to deal with. Plus I really liked her interactions with the other characters especially Logan.

    I can't wait to read Kiss of Frost. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole! I loved Touch of Frost, my only issue was that Gwen was just too accepting letting everyone dictate her life to her (ie she didn't want to go to the Academy, but did not stand up for herself). She was much more forceful and independent in Kiss. I am hoping she will completely kick butt in Dark Kiss! Thanks for stopping by!

    ~Shel

    ReplyDelete