Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers #2) by Michelle Rowen

* * *




MY KISS CAN KILL.

I used to be ordinary Samantha Day, but that's changed. Now, after one dark kiss from a dangerous boy, I can steal someone's soul...or their life. If I give in to the constant hunger inside me, I hurt anyone I kiss. If I don't...I hurt myself.

Bishop is the one whose kiss I crave most, but if I kiss him, I'll kill him. Then there's another boy, one I can't hurt. One whose kiss seems to miraculously quell my hunger. They're both part of a team of angels and demons that's joined forces in my city to fight a mysterious rising darkness, an evil that threatens everyone I know and love. I just wonder if I'll be able to help Bishop-or if I'm just another part of the darkness he's sworn to destroy....

NIGHTWATCHERS

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...


Dare I say it? Wicked Kiss is even better than Dark Kiss! Now that Samantha has lost her soul and is a gray she has to deal with that constant hunger to feed off other people's souls. It's a bit of a nuisance. So priority number one is to recover her soul and get her best friend back. Not so easy. The person who could help her most is no longer, evil aunt Natalie, and Stephen her former crush who took her soul in the first place remains elusive. While all that’s going on, Bishop the fallen angel who is burdened with a soul is going mad from it. There are also a string of mysterious teenage deaths raising eyebrows and more grays to be rid off. Still, there's time for Samantha to nurse a longing for Bishop and her curiosity about his past is gnawing at her as much as her hunger for souls.

Our unlikely team of paranormals - angels, demons, gray - has plenty to contend with which makes Wicked Kiss so much fun. There is not one moment of downtime. Even when it’s sort of quiet, there’s always something or someone stirring the pot, whether it's her arch nemesis Jordan or the addition to the team, an angel named Cassandra.  She claims she’s there to assist with the cleanup in Trinity but she has a hidden agenda. There are plenty of trust issues going on and Samantha has a hard time leaving Bishop alone when it comes to getting to know him better. Their constant I-want-to-touch-you-but-it’s-too-dangerous moments are exciting and once Samantha does get glimpses of Bishop’s past it’s almost too much.  But really it’s the dynamic between Samantha and Kraven that was most fun for me. Kraven reminds me of some of my favorite snarky fictional boys – Damon, Jace and Patch – and we know how much I LOVE snark and bad boys. He had me giggling a lot! 

Rowen definitely elevated this story and as each chapter progressed so did the tension and urgency. Introducing a few new elements shaped a story that I genuinely liked. It's simply an enjoyable, fun escape!  

~ Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment