Friday, October 25, 2013

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia

**** 1/2

From Little Brown:

I never believed in ghosts.  Until one tried to kill me.

When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, she doesn't realize that paranormal forces are responsible - not until mysterious identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into her room and destroy a deadly spirit sent to kill her.

Kennedy learns that her mother's death was no accident, and now she has to take her place in the Legion of the Black Dove - a secret society whose five members were all murdered on the same night, leaving the Legion in the hands of the next generation: a misfit group with unique skills.  

As the new members race to find the only weapon capable of destroying the demon, they use their individual talents to battle paranormal entities and earn their rightful place in the Legion - except for Kennedy.  

If she is truly the missing piece of the puzzle, can she stay alive long enough to find out - without losing her heart in the process?

Protect Yourself.  What you can't see can hurt you.

I'll be honest, I haven't read the Beautiful Creatures series.  I tried the first one, but never really got into it.  I've met Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl a couple of times and they are awesome, which makes me feel totally guilty for not reading their stuff, but I got my chance with Unbreakable, thanks to Little Brown.  

Unbreakable had me from the very beginning.  It's a haunting, edge-of-your-seat good time, that made it impossible for me to sleep, what with the nightmares and all.  Completely creepy and exactly the kind of book that is so fantastic this time of year.

More than that though, Kami Garcia's writing is nearly lyrical in parts and always mesmerizing.  Her characters are fun and interesting - I especially enjoyed Priest, the Hephaestus-like engineering wiz-kid.  The only thing stopping me from giving Unbreakable a five-star rating is Kennedy, the heroine of the story and even then, I can't pinpoint what about her that bothers me, but something about her character felt off to me.  Besides that one sticking point (and the unwanted bad dreams), Unbreakable is one of the most surprising books I've read this year.  

A huge thank you to Little Brown for the galley, because I don't know that I would have picked this book out for myself and that would have been a shame.      

~Shel



No comments:

Post a Comment