Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

****

From Random House:

Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people.  Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want.  But, it's not a skill that she's ever taken seriously.  That it, until the FBI come knocking: they've begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.  

What Cassie doesn't realize is that there's more at risk than a few unsolved homicides - especially when she's sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.  Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem.  And when a new killer strikes, danger looms close.  Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all their gifts just to survive.  

The The Mentalist meets Pretty Little Liars - Jennifer Lynn Barnes' The Naturals is a gripping psychological thriller with killer appeal, a to-die-for romance, and the bones of a gritty and compelling new series.  

I agree that The Naturals was a gripping psychological thriller that totally creeped me out, but I disagree with the comparison to Pretty Little Liars (which I find incredibly annoying).  The Naturals is my first Jennifer Lynn Barnes experience and I am glad I picked it up.    

It's always tricky to bring together an ensemble cast in the first book of a series, but Ms. Barnes seamlessly brings together The Naturals Team and I look forward to much more character development in the next installment.  I think there are endless possibilities and The Naturals was a great start.   

To me, there's no better time for creepy mysteries than fall and The Naturals does not disappoint.  The story is a chilling, nightmare inducing mystery that will keep you guessing to the very end.

~Shel

No comments:

Post a Comment