Sunday, January 3, 2021

Bel's Best of 2020




Oh, 2020. You've been something else! Between Covid-19 and the election, books became even more of an escape than before. Here is a sampling of some of my favorites...


The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi


This is one of the most gorgeous piece of storytelling ever. I've recommended it, gifted it, raved about it. It is simply spectacular!

Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall


I have such affection for this novel. Luc and Oliver stole my heart, but we also need to give it up to Alex Twaddle, the baffling, not quite all there hapless co-worker of Luc's. The humor is spot on witty. Luc and Oliver's bring on deadpan banter and arghhhh...I fell in love! I own the ebook, the paperback, the audio - you get the idea. 

Kill the Queen by Jennifer Estep (audio)


I read fantasy off and on but during the shutdown I needed an absolute escape and even more than that, I needed an absolute good versus evil storyline where everyone knew where they stood and where evil got crushed. Kill the Queen delivered that for me along with a gritty heroine. I binged this trilogy.

Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert

Talia Hibbert gives good rep. She writes about characters with issues - in this case, Zaf suffers from anxiety - without being patronizing. Take A Hint is written with loads of humor and heart and her female characters are not to be trifled with. Such a joy to read.

Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez (audio)


This YA set in Argentina took me out of my little bubble. Furia has aspirations to be a professional soccer player but in Argentina, young girls are not encouraged in such endeavors. She has to practice and play in secrecy so her abusive father doesn't find out. It was startling to read of some of the archaic views on women within the culture. Also disconcerting, the disappearances and assaults of young girls. Furia and the rest of her teammates struggle to survive against this troubling backdrop. A little comfort comes in the form of her crush, Diego when he returns from his first-year stint at Italian club, Juventus. He encourages her love of soccer and becomes her staunchest ally. Mentions of Messi and Dybala made me happy and I highly recommend the audio to truly immerse yourself in the language and culture. 

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman


Another hit from the man who writes addictive stories. He knows how to set up a story and the players and develops them with such authenticity. There were more unusual characters involved with a timeline that went back and forth before bringing all the pieces together. 

A Woman Is No Man by Etaf Rum (audio)


This was so gut-wretchedly emotional. Three generations of Palestianian-immigrant women within one family have to come to terms with brutal truths and secrets. It can be disturbing and honestly, depressing but I could not turn this off in my head. These women were very much alive and in front of me. I was so gripped by their journeys that I had to know how everything transpired. It's extraordinary writing and the three passionate narrators who delivered this haunting story did so with such compassion and humanity.

A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Mayhem by Manda Collins


I do enjoy a good historical romance and throw in a mystery and you have me. Newspaper owner, Lady Katherine joins forces with a Scotland Yard detective, Andrew Eversham to uncover a series of murders, and their chemistry as partners and romantic interests is amazing. 

Three Party Harmony by Holley Trent (audio)


I've only read two other polyarmorous stories - Trent's previous Writing Her In being one of them - and this one just took my whole heart. All three of these characters are so deeply complex and introspective. I loved each one of them equally. To echo what I said in my Goodreads review, Trent doesn't make the intimate moments crude. The true intimacy comes from the emotional and intellectual connection which makes their physical union so potent. And that's what makes this story so undeniably romantic.

Southern Seducer by Jessica Peterson


This struck a chord with me. Bel is a single mom who's getting used to life post-baby and Beau is the man who's offering her a chance for some R&R at his resort. These two friends follow through on their mutual attraction while she's there. This was the first romance that I'd read that included all the crazy ups and downs of life with a newborn and a woman who's struggling to feel like herself again. Postpartum depression, physical changes, feeling sexual again ... all part of the joys of being a woman.

Season of the Wolf  by Maria Vale


Vale impressively creates a vivid world of humans and shifters. This is book 4 in the series and it has a lot to do with uneasy alliances and building trust. I liked the little touch of Evie and Constantine picking up from where the other's point of view left off. Their wolf versus human upbringings make them drastically different and suspicious. But that continuity of their points of view showed how they began to understand each other at a surprisingly intimate depth that no one within their own camps was able to do. This was a slow, delicate dance between two headstrong and worthy opponents at first, who eventually become the other's other half.

Loud Mouth by Avery Flynn


If you want a good time read, then pick up an Avery Flynn romance. You will not be disappointed by funny scenarios that somehow lead to some good sexy times. This book makes you want to be snowed in in a cabin with a smoking hot hockey player.

You Should See Me In A Crown by Leach Johnson (audio)

I enjoyed this so much I made sure my daughter read it, too. It's set in a small Indiana town where a young, resourceful girl decides that the best way for her to achieve her dreams of attending an expensive music school is to enter the contest for prom queen. Winning it would give her a financial lifeline but entering also means conforming to a certain extent and also confronting things she'd prefer to set aside. It's freaking adorable and touching. 

Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn (audio)

For someone who has no artistic ability or creativity whatsoever, Love Lettering had me hooked whenever Meg went through her technical and creative processes to draw her popular calendars. I felt like I was receiving an education in how to notice the art I don't see, like street signs. This was also a splendid love letter to New York that makes me want to revisit it so I can retrace Meg and Reid's footsteps through the city.

Murder in an Irish Cottage by Carlene O' Connor (audio)

It's book 5 in her Irish Village Mystery and each one keeps getting better. Carlene O'Connor is my go-to person for cozy mysteries. This one involved a bit of the supernatural with legends of fairies and curses.

Whiteout by Adriana Anders

It's the wildest, most suspenseful kind of adventure in the Antarctic wilderness. Outwitting the bad guys while trying very hard not to die from the extreme weather conditions - this was a pure adrenaline rush! This needs to be a movie.

Starbreaker by Amanda Bouchet

It's an exciting adventure featuring outlaws - the nice ones like Robin Hood - trying to right the wrongs and bring down a tyrannical regime. This series gives me Firefly vibes and I'm totally here for the galactic thrill ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment