Monday, August 8, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

*****

Synopsis taken from Gayle Forman’s website:

On a day that started like any other…

Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices.  Then, in an instant, almost of that is taken from her.  Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the once decision she has left – the most important decision she’ll ever make.

Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.


There isn’t much I can share about the plot without spoiling it.   

I will tell you that the characters in this book are so beautiful and so real.  Some are flawed more than others but none of them disproportionately so.  And their flaws are only meant to make them human not evil.  Each character in this book is introduced to us for one purpose.  And that is to prove to Mia that maybe she does have a reason to choose life over death.

While reading this all I could think about was my children and the people they have in their lives.  I really hope that we are providing them with a supportive family that they can always lean on.  I hope that they make friends that they love and love them back.  And more than anything, I hope my children always feel like they have something to live for whether we are there or not.

This book is an emotional ride.  You will find yourself laughing out loud one minute and then sobbing a few pages later.  I can’t recommend this one enough.

Nat

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book SO much. The characters, like you said, were brilliant and even months after reading the book, I'm still thinking about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete