Monday, December 19, 2011

Nat's Top Ten of 2011


When we decided that we would each make a Top Ten of 2011 list, I was convinced that it would take me days.  Surprisingly, it only took me 4 hours.  Granted that is partially because we all decided it was okay to cheat with books in a series and count an entire series as one book.  Even so, it was tough because there were so many books I read and loved this year.  So here it is!  Share with us your favorite reads of 2011!


The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare - Shadowhunters, Downworlders, Demons, Mundanes.  A rich urban fantasy with all the necessary action, romance and teen angst that keeps me coming back for more. And it introduces some of my most favorite male characters in YA - Magnus, Jem and Jace

If I Stay by Gayle Forman - I sobbed.  And sobbed.  And then sobbed some more.  I am not much of a crier in my personal life, but there are a number of books that make me weepy at turns and there are very few books that turn me into an emotional basket case.  If I Stay wins the emotional basketcase category. Hands down.  It is equally funny, beautiful and oh so terribly sad.  If I had to put this list in order of favorites, this would compete with my next choice as number one on the list.

Where She Went by Gayle Forman - The companion book to If I Stay.  Another beautifully written story.  The main character is so darn loveable you can't help but feel for him.  Even when he pulls the ultimate rockstar move and starts sleeping with his groupies.  What's not to love about a emotionally messed up rockstar?  Not a thing, I say.  Not a darn thing.  This one will also have you alternately laughing and crying.  Fortunately, it will not turn you into an emotional basket case.


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - Just all sorts of happy. I have re-read this book 4 times in as many months.  This is the ultimate "pick me up" book when I am feeling down.  Perfect romantic comedy.  If they make a movie out of this (a well cast and well made movie), I will die.  Simply die.

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - Take the happy from Anna and the French Kiss.  Add a dash of angst and a pinch of quirky and you have another awesome romantic read.

Anna Dressed in Blood - I read a few books that scared the crap out of me this year.  This one definitely takes the cake.  Super creepy.  I would purposely leave all of the lights on after reading it.  Actually those things would usually keep a book off my favorites list.  But it was so good.  I couldn't put it down and the characters (particularly Cas) were absolutely amazing.

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green - Full of smart humor, slapstick, and just all sorts of awesome.  Definitely a book written for nerds that are boys by a nerd that is a boy.  But that doesn't mean girls don't love it too.  Obviously, since it did make it to my list.  And I am not a boy.  But I am definitely a nerd.

Geek Girl by Cindy Bennett - This is a story about a girl who learns to love herself and also learns that she is worthy of the love of people around her.  A great message without being beat over the head with it.  AND to top it off, the love interest in this book made me forget about Peeta for a few hours.  High praise indeed, if I do say so myself.

Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins - Speaking of Peeta....There is too much to say so I won't say anything at all.  Other than if you are one of the 5 people in the universe that hasn't read this trilogy, READ IT!

The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa - An amazing fantasy about faeries with the feel of both The Dark Crystal and Alice in Wonderland.  The entire series is full of adventure and not a single character disappoints.

2 comments:

  1. All these books just got around to reading this year. Excerpt If I Stay & Where She Went and Anna and The French Kiss & Lola and the Boy Next Door.
    Geek Girl read for Cindy's book tour.

    These books were really great and my ultimate favorites!
    Love Peeta.

    Need to read the ones I haven't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra - Yes, I have a obsession with Peeta that Bel and Shel insist on encouraging.

    ReplyDelete