Friday, May 16, 2014

Love Comes Home by Andrew Grey

Love Comes Home (Senses, #3)* *

A Senses Series Story 

When architect Gregory Hampton’s son, Davey, starts having trouble in Little League, Greg takes him to an eye doctor. The diagnosis hits them hard. Davey’s sight is degenerating rapidly, and eventually he’ll go blind. 

Tom Spangler is used to getting what he wants. When Greg captures his attention, he asks Greg for a date. They have a good time until Greg gets a call from the friends watching his son, telling him Davey has fallen. Greg and Tom return to find the worst has happened—Davey can no longer see. 

With so much going on in his life, Greg doubts he’ll see Tom again. But Tom has researched beep baseball, where balls and bases make sounds to enable the visually impaired to participate in Little League. Tom spearheads an effort to form a team so Davey can continue to play the game he loves. But when Greg’s ex-wife shows up with her doctor boyfriend, offering a possible cure through a radical procedure, Greg must decide how far he’ll go to give Davey a chance at getting his sight back.



Review:

The above synopsis pretty much says it all.  And it’s all the things I love, right?  Angst, romance, emotional conflict, baseball…  But, unfortunately, it just didn’t’ work for me.  I wanted to love this book.  I really, really did.  Andrew Grey is such a prolific and well loved author in the m/m romance world that I thought it would be instant love on my part.  But there were some things I just couldn’t get past.

The biggest issue I had with this story was Tom.  I found him to be tremendously rude.  He is constantly telling Greg how to handle Davey and Davey’s disability.  I think the reader was supposed to see this as Tom being helpful and showing an interest.  And I guess that is what he was doing.  But his approach left a lot to be desired.  If Tom had been on more than one date with Greg and actually KNEW Greg and Davey, I may have been able to get past this.  If Tom had ANY experience with the blind, I may have even been OK with his high-handedness.  But he didn't know them and he didn't have any experience so his “interest” came across as a rude stranger giving unwanted advice.

I also could never buy into the romance.  Besides the problems I had with Tom’s character, they just didn't know each other very long.  A couple dates and next thing I know they are each realizing they are in love with one another.  There just wasn't enough relationship development in the story to make me believe they could possible be in love with each other.

The one thing that I did enjoy about this story was the secondary couples that were mutual friends of Tom and Greg.  I was particularly intrigued by Patrick.  It was fascinating to see the way he communicates.  Love Comes Home is the latest book in a series.  I have not read the other books but after reading this, I am very interested in reading Ken and Patrick’s story in Love Comes Silently.

In the end, this particular story wasn't for me.  But it was a light and fast read that kept my interest enough that I will likely be trying more Andrew Grey titles in the future.

Nat


No comments:

Post a Comment