Thursday, February 2, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

* * * *

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.


Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.


If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.




Aria and a group of “friends” illegally enter a damaged area of their Pod - a domed city where people live protected from the dangers of the outside. After a deadly accident where only Aria and one other person survive, Aria is evicted from Reverie for her alleged crime. She is dropped off in the middle of “the Death Shop” with no hope of survival. By chance she is picked up by Peregrine, an Outsider that is responsible for her survival both in the Pod and out. By necessity they join together on a dangerous cross-country journey to find their lost loved ones and while on their quest they slowly begin to rethink the preconceived ideas they have about each other and their respective lives.

“They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod ‘the Death Shop’. A million ways to die out there. Aria never thought she’d get close.”

The minute I read the first paragraph of this book (see above quote) I knew that I would be flying through it. My curiosity was immediately piqued. It was imperative that I find out about “the Death Shop”. What was it? Why was it so dangerous? It didn’t take long to learn the answers to those questions. And once I learned them I was bombarded with a slough of new questions. This book keeps you guessing while at the same time satisfying the reader with the answers they want. I don’t believe many authors can accomplish that but Veronica Rossi manages it with flying colors.

I loved everything about this book. The futuristic world of those who lived in the pods. The rough, simple, and barbaric world of those that lived on the outside. I loved all of the characters. The main and the secondary, the good and the evil. Each of them had a purpose and was essential to the story. To put it simply - I was in fantasy/sci-fi/dystopia heaven while reading this book.

I want to say so much more about this book but I am afraid of ruining the experience for any future readers. All I can say is go read this. The ending left me with goose bumps and wanting more.


Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment