Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

* * * *
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.


I’ve always wondered about the inner workings of the male mind. In Catching Jordan, Miranda Kenneally proved what I have always believed. Most boys just plain don’t talk about feeeelings. They are creatures of few words and they are content as can be with that. Having my theory proven correct, I began imagining conversations they have when discussing major events in their lives…

At some point, while dating the Executive Officer, he decided that he was going to ask me to marry him. I imagine the conversation with his best friend went a little something like this:

Executive Officer: I think I’m going to ask Nat to marry me. *shoots some bad guys on his video game*


Best Friend: Ok. Cool. *shoots more bad guys then drinks his Dr. Pepper*


Executive Officer: Yep. *eats some Doritos and takes a swig from his beer*


Or better yet, here is the conversation between the Executive Officer and Bel’s husband.

Executive Officer: I’m going to ask Nat to marry me.


Bel’s Husband: *punches Nat’s XO in the face*


That second one is an honest to goodness true story. Now in Bel’s husband’s defense, he warned my XO that he would punch him the face if he asked me to marry him before dating me at least a year (we had only dated nine months). And Bel’s husband can always be counted on to carry out a promise.

But that isn’t all I learned from Catching Jordan. I also learned that tomboys don’t necessarily want you to forget that they are a girl. I learned that a good team protects and supports one another. And I learned that girls can play some kick ass football. And that is saying a lot as I really am not a big fan of American Football. Alright, I am sure that I learned more than that but that is what first came to mind.

There were a lot of things to love about this story. The camaraderie between Jordan and her teammates was wonderful and made me feel all warm and fuzzy with the naturalness of it. The relationship between Jordan and Henry, her best friend since forever, was very sweet. But what I loved most of all was watching Jordan struggle and grow as she learns to deal with boys and new girlfriends and then in turn learns to balance her relationship issues with school, football, and college hunting. She grew considerably throughout the book. Starting out a tough but insecure girl and eventually coming out as a strong woman with a lot of self respect.

This was a fun, romantic fast-paced read. I finished it in one day which doesn’t happen very often and I have already gone back twice to re-read my favorite parts. I always enjoy a romance that makes me smile and Catching Jordan did just that. I have added this book to the “Cheer Me Up” shelf - right next to Anna and the French Kiss.



Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment