Monday, September 26, 2011

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday



****

From HarperTeen:

First I find out that my boyfriend is cheating on me. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And now he’s depending on me to clear his name. Seriously?

As much as I wouldn’t mind watching him squirm, I know that he’s innocent. So I’m brushing off my previously untapped detective skills and getting down to business. But I keep tripping over dead bodies and I’m still no closer to figuring out who did it. And what’s worse: all signs seem to point to me as the killer’s next victim.

I really need to pick a better boyfriend next time.

I have to preface this review by saying that I have been a huge fan of Gemma’s since I discovered Spying in Heels back in 2006. Needless to say, I was giddy to find out that Gemma was making a foray into the wonderful world of Young Adult. Then I got an ARC and did a little happy dance (be thankful you didn't have to see that!)

Reading Deadly Cool reminded me how much I love a good mystery. I have been reading so many paranormals lately, that I had forgotten. The mystery was fun and I enjoyed getting to know the characters.  Hartley plays the typical teen caught up in something beyond her control. Her best-friend Sam is Hartley’s partner-in-crime (and crime solving) and comic relief, especially in her struggle not to swear. And, I admit that I am crushing a little on Chase, the resident smart-ass (there's a scene with a strip-tease!). The cast of characters could use a little more depth, but I suspect that will come in future installments.

Deadly Cool is light-hearted mystery and fast-paced fun expertly blended. Anyone who enjoys contemporary mysteries will enjoy it.  Deadly Cool releases on October 11, 2011 - Definitely check it out.

~Shel












2 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by FABR. I am happy to find your post for Deadly Cool. This is one of the books on my TBR. I am glad that Gemma Halliday is writing YA and it looks fabulous. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! Let me know what you think once you read it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ~Shel

    ReplyDelete