Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Confessions of a Peeta Lover

Hello.  My name is Nat and I have an obsession with Peeta Mellark*. 

For as long as I can remember I have loved romance.  I love reading about falling in love.  Even as a kid, while reading Little Women and Anne of Green Gables, I couldn’t wait to get to the romantic parts.  Hell, I even loved the “romance” in my Babysitter’s Club books.  Seriously, what 10 year old doesn’t love Logan? 

I became a teenager and introduced myself to Jane Austen…the queen of romance.  She gave us Mr. Darcy and Mr. Knightley and Captain Wentworth and many others.  Then I hit my late teens and discovered the dreaded historical romance.  I have read more romance novels than I care to admit.  Most of them were terrible but some really were great….assuming you love reading about LOOOOOOVE.   I did finally tire of the over abundance of terrible in this genre but continue to read books by a few favorite authors (Julia Quinn for historical romantic comedy, Lisa Kleypas for historical romance and Nora Roberts for contemporary romance). 

Then Bibliojunkie Shel gave me Twilight (my first YA novel – not counting Harry Potter or Percy Jackson) as a gift this past year I had no idea that I would find a whole new class of fictional boys to not only fall in love with but thoroughly obsess over.  Thank goodness Bel and Shel share some of this obsession. 

I of course fell in love with Edward Cullen.  Then came Jace Wayland/Morgenstern/Herondale/Lightwood and all his beautiful and snarky honesty.  This particular obsession lasted months.  Even now if you mention brick walls and mangoes, Bel and I will dissolve into a fit of giggles.  Then I finally caught up with the world and read the Hunger Games.  And now my obsession with Peeta borders on the ridiculous.  It’s been months and months.  Patch gave me a temporary reprieve and I really thought Sam Roth might take over but no…it’s all Peeta.  All. The. Time.  I can’t get enough of the boy with the bread.  Jace?  Patch?  One night stands.  Peeta?  Much like Sam, he is the forever boy. 

So the point?  Good God, help me find a new fictional boy to obsess over.  My poor fellow Bibliojunkies (not to mention my husband) are getting tired of the Peeta obsession. 

What do you suggest?  What boy do you think will wow the pants right off me?  I am taking book recommendations starting. Right. Now!

Nat

*The above drawing of Peeta was done by DeviantArt artist sacha11410.

No comments:

Post a Comment