Saturday, July 23, 2011

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

*****


If you read my reviews of Shiver and Linger, you probably think I am a big cry baby.  And after reading Forever, I am almost inclined to agree with you.  Maggie Stiefvater has done it again.  This book is just as beautiful as the last two.  The description and poetry in Forever is quite moving.

The story again alternates between the POV of Sam, Grace, Isabel and Cole.  The motivating action of the books is that Isabel’s father has managed to get a large hunt approved to not just drive the wolves out of Mercy Falls but also to kill every last one of them.  Unfortunately I can’t tell you more than that without adding spoilers.  I can tell you that Sam is a bit more frustrating in this story.  As he says in all three books “I am good at waiting.”  He IS good at waiting and it’s not always the right move.  Grace is slightly more distant as she deals with all the changes in her life.  Isabel is Isabel; always hurting.  And Cole….well Cole is growing in a way that really makes this Cole’s story.  In Linger you wanted to smack Cole.  In Forever, you want smack him and then maybe push him up against a brick wall.  And his little genius quirks had me giggling more times than I can count.

Some have complained that Sam and Grace’s romance isn’t nearly as strong.  I am inclined to disagree.  What I have loved about these books is that everything between Sam and Grace is quietly passionate.  And I don’t think that has changed.  The blooming romance between Cole and Isabel is sweet, bitter and hilarious.  A particular scene in Isabel’s mom’s clinic really defines their relationship perfectly.

Just a word of warning….Ms. Stiefvater does not neatly wrap up the ending with a big bow and present it to us on a silver platter.  There are loose ends that leave you wondering.  In my opinion it works.  A neatly tied up ending would not have fit with this story and would have cheapened it.

As you may have guessed, I cannot recommend these books enough.  So if you haven’t already, go out, buy them, read them.  You won’t be disappointed.


Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment