Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

All silliness aside, we really are here to provide you with reviews of our old, current and new favorite books and the occasional movie.  Young Adult is a big favorite here but don’t be surprised to see the occasional review for a children’s book, classic, or…*gasp*…a novel written for adults.  Like we said, we’re 16 year olds with a mortgage payment.
Although not new to many, we just recently discovered Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush series.  Below is my review of Hush, Hush.  Stay tuned for Bel’s review of the sequel, Crescendo.  And dare we hope that maybe you will stick around long enough to see our review of Silence when it is released in October?  Not only dare we hope, we expect to still see you lurking around!



Hush, Hush
By Becca Fitzpatrick

***

I have found that I am just not a big fan of the fallen angel stories.  Give me vampires, werewolves, or Shadowhunters any day.  But fallen angels?  Meh.  Compared to the other two fallen angel stories I have read I would put this one in the middle.  And the only two reasons it didn’t make it to the bottom of the list is awesome bad boy, Patch, and the ending.  I can’t tell you about the ending but I can tell you about Patch.  Patch (we will just ignore the ridiculousness of his name) is the true bad boy all of us girls fantasize about.  He isn’t a good guy by any stretch of the imagination.  He is bad, bad, bad but with just a touch of naughty that makes him so hot he is smokin’.   And let’s face it.  Any hero that lifts his heroine by the waist so she can wrap her legs around him while he kisses her senseless is a hero for me.  The only thing missing was a brick wall.

As for the bad…Our heroine, Nora, is an idiot.  She is like the girl in a horror movie who keeps making bad decisions.  You keep wanting to scream at her “Why are you doing THAT!?!”  It’s not that she is unlikeable.  Actually, because she IS likeable, her decisions are even more frustrating.  Sure, a lot of heroines do stupid things.  Authors would have little action in their stories if it didn’t happen sometimes.   But Becca Fitzpatrick takes it to a whole new level with Nora.  And then there is her BFF, Vee.  At first you think Vee is super awesome.  Their relationship is hilarious and is quite reminiscent of the relationship I have with some of my friends.  But then Vee makes some decisions that SHOULD be a friendship breaker, in my opinion.  But apparently Nora gets over things more easily than me.  I don’t always mind a weak heroine (I am probably one of the few people who doesn’t hate Bella Swan) but Nora’s weakness travels into the ridiculous.

In the end, if you are looking for a strong heroine, don’t read this book.  If you are looking for a sexy hero, definitely read this book.  I admit that I will be reading Crescendo to get a little more Patch action.

When it comes to the very few fallen angel stories I have read....I would recommend Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton over Hush, Hush.  But I would recommend Hush, Hush over Fallen by Lauren Kate.



Nat





1 comment:

  1. I agree Nat - I thoroughly enjoyed Patch, but often thought Nora made horrible decisions. I promise to get to Crescendo this week!

    Shel

    ReplyDelete